Saturday 7 February 2015

Song Fa Bak Kut Teh - Chinatown Point

Opening its 5th branch at the Chinatown Point, Song Fa Bak Kut Teh have made their cuisine easily accessible to the locals and tourists. Public transport such as MRT and bus are just nearby and thus this location draws the office crowd from CBD too. I rushed to queue during my lunch break in order to avoid the lunch crowd. Luck is on my side as i manage to have a table within 5 minutes. 


Well, Song Fa Bak Kut Teh has been around for such a long time, they even managed to attract tourists to visit their shops. Since previously I did not have a chance to try their food, so I decided to drop by and decide for myself if it is good.


The place is packed with customers during lunch time, i guess it will be much worse during dinner time!


Have a look at the menu


From main dishes to braised dishes to side dishes and drinks, you will be able to see what they have to offer at a glance 


Lots of waiters and waitresses can be seen, hence it is easy to catch their attention


Homemade Barley ($1.80) - Sweetness is just right. The barley are nearly mashed up, hence it is much more easier to drink with the straw 


Chili and dark soy sauce are provided




Braised Pig's Intestines ($6.50) - At a glance, it does not really look delicious, but after I took a bite, my mind really blew off. I am bewildered by how clean the intestines are washed, absolutely no intestine smell at all. The intestines are well marinated and braised, the sauce can be tasted when you chew at the intestine. Braised sauce is savoury but not overwhelming. Highly recommended to order!


Premium Loin Ribs ($9.50) - Wow, this is really an expensive premium dish. The meat is very tender, easily to separate the meat from the bones. Well marinated and tasty too. The soup is very peppery and taste of garlic and peppers. However, the broth lack of the sweetness from the meat which is what I am looking for. I am really disappointed with it. This is just a dish which the ribs and the soup are prepared separately. Totally no fusion at all.   


Remember  to return the wet tissue if you do not require it, it will be deducted off your bill




There are 2 queues which are operating simultaneously, one is located at the front door while the other queue is located in the shopping mall itself. I will suggest to queue inside the shopping mall since there is air conditioner compared to the front door queue. 


Queue inside shopping mall



Verdict: 3.5 /5

The taste of the food is fairly usual, I do not feel that there is any "wow" factor. Although the pig's intestines and the loin ribs are good, it somehow lack the flavour that I am looking for.

Service provided by the staff is prompt and courteous, i am surprised since they appeared to be very busy and chaotic at times. Good job there!

Considering the price of the food sold here, I find it abit steep. Overall, I may not come back here again. Recommend for first timer only.





  • Taste(3)
  • Environment(4)
  • Service(4)
  • Clean(4)


  • Price(3)


Look out for my other Reviews on Bak Kut Teh


New Soon Huat Bak Kut Teh 新順發肉骨茶 - Click Here

Outram Park Ya Hua Rou Gu Cha - 欧南园亚华肉骨茶 - Click Here


No comments:

Post a Comment